Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday Review

Ok, so my first round of predictions here on JFK didn't go so well. Give me a break.

That said, we did see some really good games today and some very interesting results. League leaders Chelsea were forced to wait until deep into injury time to finally get a winning goal from whiny Frenchman Florent Malouda and sneak past a very determined Stoke team. It seems like that's kind of going to be the pattern for Chelsea this year. They aren't blowing anyone away as they settle into the new style they're playing under Carlo Ancelotti but they are certainly getting results and that is really the only thing that counts. As much as I hate to say it, they look like the real-deal right now.

Sadly, speaking of the real-deal, Manchester United look like they are the definite front runners for the title again this year. Despite falling behind early to an unreal bicycle kick goal from the white hot Jermaine Defoe, they didn't panic and found their way back into the game to win 3-1. I still don't think their midfield offers enough of a goal scoring threat but they seem to be proving me wrong as Giggs and, of all people, Anderson!? scored today for them. I am still not convinced that guys like Paul Scholes and Darren Fletcher should be playing regularly for a team wanting to win a title but we'll see. By the way, Paul Scholes still can't tackle to save his life and was sent off AGAIN today for a couple of awful challenges. Why does he even try? 

Before we get to looking at the game of the week, lets do a quick run-down of the less marquee matchups. Hull are worse than I thought and got crushed by a bad Sunderland team. This just confirms my belief that Hull are definitely going down this year. Liverpool, as predicted, thrashed Burnley who look set to come back down to earth after a couple of impressive wins. Special mention to the totally underrated Yossi Benayoun who scored a hat-trick for Liverpool and maybe thats finally enough to earn him some playing time for once. Wigan came out on top in a really awful game against West Ham which no one saw because it put everyone to sleep, Bolton and Portsmouth played out a stunningly exciting game with Bolton getting a late winner from Gary "don't call me Tim" Cahill and Blackburn crushed my beloved Wolves. I cried. Whatever.

I need some more time to gather myself before tearing a strip off the scum that is Emmanuel Adebayor when I analyze exactly what happened in the Arsenal v. Man City game of the week so check back in a bit. That's right, leave them wanting more. I am a blogging pro already.

1 comment: